For today's lotus flower study, I chose to paint using mostly red colors. For the painting, I refrained (as much as I could) from using the magenta red colors that dominate my red palette and explored burgundy and warmer reds. I used some Daniel Smith Anthraquinoid Red (PR177) for the majority of the color.
I added a glaze of Winsor Newton Quinacridone Magenta (PR122) to see what would happen. The undertone of the Quin. Magenta is blue and the Anth. Red undertone is yellow. I then added a glaze of Winsor Newton Cadmium Red (PR108) over the top. This brought the overall color back to red, but skewed it towards an orange red. I layered glazes of the Anth. Red and Cad. Red mixture until I was ok with the color.
For the shading, I added a violet that was leftover on my palette from another mixture. Because I like to see the separate petals, I added a thin outline to the leaves. I realize that this changes the look of the flower and makes it less realistic, but I am not going for a hyperrealism look when I paint.
Next, I'm going to use Daniel Smith Red Fuchsia Genuine and Daniel Smith Quinacridone Coral (PR209) to see what they look like in lotus flowers.